Monday, February 20, 2012

What should i look for when buying a used vw westfilia bus?

im about to get my lisence and im thinking about getting a vw bus for my first car. ive never had a car befor and dont know much about what to get. so i was wondering if someone could help me and tell me what i should look for when buying the bus, also what i shouldnt get.What should i look for when buying a used vw westfilia bus?Little to no rust is a plus. Check the pan out. They tend to have rust issues.

Strong running engine

Good working transmission

tight front end (ball joints or king pins and tie rod ends)

oil cooler

service records

working electrical (lights turn signals brake lights...)

CV boots....make sure they are not torn.



I would recommend that you have an experienced VW mechanic look it over before you buy any VW.



If you do buy a bus, make sure you buy The Idiots Guide to Complete VW Repair. It is the best book for any person who owns an air cooled VW. It will help you fix almost any problem on the side of the road



As far as VW fires, yes they do happen, but they can always be avoided by keeping up on maintenrnce......do not let the fuel lines dry out and keep a fire extinguisher in the car.What should i look for when buying a used vw westfilia bus?well i just bought one although its not a westfailia but its a 1973 VW bus camper. I've been doing research and I guess one of the big things is to make sure the bus doesn't have too much rust.



Here is my experience so far....



no power steering so backing up into tight spaces and trying to get out is kinda' rough.



My 1st and 2nd gears stick.



Older seatbelts so they don't lock up when you brake, they are permanently locked up. So I have to wear it really loose to drive my bus comfortably.



Engine fires are very common so always keep a fire extinguisher in the bus. This terrrifies me.



Take it in for an oil change on schedule!!



Other than that no complaints as the bus is super duper fun to drive! Although may be a little trickier. I have years more driving experience than you and it was a bit tricky for me at first and I"m still trying to get used to it.



Good luck!What should i look for when buying a used vw westfilia bus?here ya go!

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BuyingG鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment