Thursday, February 23, 2012

How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?

I have recently bought a 78 bay window VW camper and need to replace the driver and passenger rubber door seals as they are perished. Can i do this myself or is it a garage job?How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?This is an easy job. Not even a full beer (grin).



1) Order the part.. do NOT remove the old seal until you actually have the right part . You can prob. find it at J.C, Whitney or any of the VW parts houses (google them ).



2) With the part in hand, check it against the in-place part.. these things are great when they are the right part, but a lot of time they send you the wrong one.



3) Got the right part? ok.. pull the old one out.. you may have to cut it to get a starting point. It is usually just held in by compression, but a little bit of rubber cement never hurts.



4) Stretch out the rubber and fit it into the channel then compress it back into place. Work your way around the door so that you end up with a uniform seal with no gaps.



5) DO BOTH SIDES.. yeah,,, the other side is fine, but replace it anyway AFTER you learn how with the other side.



(come to think of it .. maybe this IS a full beer job).



.. thats it.. have fun.How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?
pull the old one off and clean off the old gum.

re-glue new one on,when fitted sprinkle talcing powder or flour around the seal so it dosent stick when you close the door.How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?Did it on a 67 beetle once and if i remember they were just Glued onHow do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?
Can do yourself as most is glued and there are a few clips the rubber hangs onto in stratigic points. Just get the rubber and you will see the rest.How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?you got a shaggin wagon?AWESOME!!How do I replace the rubber door seal on my VW camper?
Like the other guy said, first make sure the new part matches properly.

After you get the old seal off, clean off any residue from the old adhesive.

Apply a bead of fresh adhesive (3M makes a very good weatherstrip adhesive. Go with the black.) to the weatherstrip AND to the door where it will fit using an acid brush.

Let the adhesive get tacky, then set the weatherstrip in place. Tape the bottom up against the door if it sags, (use masking tape as not to harm the rubber or your paint) %26amp; leave the door open until the adhesive is cured. (You may want to pull the fuse for the interior light as not to run your battery down.)

Brush the new moulding lightly with baby powder before closing the door.

You're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment